Friday, July 19, 2013

Fake It Fridays #03, Make Your Own Stamps from Foam

Hi.  today is installment # 3 of the Fake It Fridays posts.  I hope that you are enjoying this series so far.  Today I am going to show you how to add to your collection of stamps for mere pennies (or nickels if you are in Canada). :) 

First you will need to gather up some fun foam, this stuff is sold in sheets and is usually very affordable, it can be found in Dollar stores, Walmart, and Michael's to name just a few.  It is a great material for kids crafts, and it is also used in many many adult crafts as well.  

You also need to gather some of your favourite dies to cut out your stamps.  I have used metal dies such as Sizzix, Cuttlebug, and Spellbinders.  Of course this also requires the use of a die cutting system.
You will also need scissors, glue and a base to glue on your stamps (especially the bigger ones),  I often use inexpensive plastic rulers that I have purchased at the Dollar store.

I like to first cut a strip of foam to fit the ruler so as to add some height to my stamp.  I then glue that strip to the ruler.  Following the instructions for the die cut system you use cut another piece of foam with a die.  It is possible that you will need to run the "sandwich" through the system more than once.

  When you have the die cut from foam, adhere it to the foam backed ruler.  That is it.  This way you now have a matching stamp to your favourite die cut.  Now ink away and stamp like any regular stamp.





I sometimes glue larger pieces of foam as handles on the back side of my ruler stamps. it makes it easier to lift up a stamp after stamping.

I use inexpensive plastic rulers as bases for my border stamps.

For smaller stamps I like to use empty CD cases or plastic bottle caps, even lids to mount my homemade stamps.  I have also used Aleene's Tack it Over and Over glue to just keep my foam stamps flat in page protectors until I need them and then stick them to a regular stamp block when I am ready to stamp.
Another fun and inexpensive thing to do is to use those already cut foam shapes ava.ilable in dollar stores and craft stores as stamps.

I hope you enjoyed this post.  Please leave me some comments below, and join the group of followers in the side bar to keep up with my other ideas.  thanks for viewing.

No comments: