Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Earth Day Recycling with the Gel Press Blog Hop


Welcome to the Gel Press Earth Day Blog Hop!  We want to encourage you to reuse and recycle with Gel Press. Have you thought of making Gel Press Prints on old maps?  What about old Christmas cards or even magazines?  Hop around and see what the Designers have come up with for this hop.  Gel Press will be giving away a prize (USA only)  again for the comments on the Gel Press Blog when you tell us what your favourite project was and why.  Comments will be accepted from April 20-24.  The winner will be announced April 25th on the Gel Press Facebook Page and the
Gel Press Junkies Facebook Page.  Good Luck!


Supplies:
Gel Press Reusable Gel Printing Plate
Acrylic Paints
Gesso
Cardboard recycled from cereal, cookie, or other food boxes
Pieces of trim, fabric, paper, etc
Stamp(s)
Ink pad(s)
Adhesive

                                                         note: I used the 3 x 5 "

See how I create backgrounds for ATC's below.    ATC's are "Artist Trading Cards", they are essentially playing card size pieces of art that artists/crafters make for their own enjoyment and for exchanging with other fellow artists/crafters.  They are not only fun but a fabulous way to create small works quickly.  Today I am sharing with you how I use my Gel Press plates to create some fun backgrounds for these ATC's.  The ones I made for this post were made out of recycled cardboard boxes that once held wrapped snacking cakes, and cereal.

To begin I take the boxes that once housed cereal or cookies, make sure they are clean, open them up and cut to size. (2 1/2 inches by 31/2 inches)




Once cut I like to brush on a coat of gesso just to give some of the more shiny cardboards better grip for the layers of paint to follow.  Using my Gel Press plate I start puling abstract prints onto the cards.




After the paint has dried I go to my jar of bits (ends and snippets of ribbons, fibres, papers, and leftover tiny pieces from other projects.  I may also use some stamps and ink to add some interest.  I glue the small pieces into a pleasing arrangement on the cards.



The result is a small piece of art that uses up a lot of materials that would otherwise go into the recycling bin, or trash.  It is a small way for me to contribute to my planet.



Check out the other Gel Press Designers' works, leave a comment on each site and don't forget to visit the Gel Press blog and let us know which project is your favourite.  Here is the list of participating Designers.  All you need to do is click on their name.

Thank you for stopping by.
Gel Press , KristiTeresaKeriSandeeCindiCyndi,LeaBixKathyAnn (you are here), Elena




No comments: